Amidst the turmoil in various parts of the country due to violence over conviction of the Dera Sacha Sauda Chief, the whole country is focussed on one person & his organisation currently, Dr Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insaan.
From being a Holy Man, to humanitarian works, to singing & dancing or acting in films, this Baba knows how to stay popular among the masses.
Here are 8 facts you didn’t know about Dera Sacha Sauda and its head Dr. Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh :
1. The Dera Sacha Souda chief was born on 15th August, 1967, making him 50 this year.
He is the sect head of cash-rich Dera Sacha Sauda. They claim to have more than 7 crore followers of this sect across the globe. ‘Saint Dr. Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Ji Insan’ is the chief of the sect.
2. The Dera Sacha Sauda sect organizes social activities on a very large scale, which includes setting up of blood donation camps, to running educational institutions and carrying out many social welfare activities for the benefit of depressed & backward classes and financially weaker sections of the society. It also undertakes rehabilitation of prostitutes, drug addicts, transgenders, alcoholics and other social victims.
3. Dera Sacha Sauda created world records and made entries in Guinness Book for organizing largest Blood Donation Camps in the world thrice in 2003, 2004 and 2010.
4. The sect was formed in 1948 by Shah Mastana, who came to Haryana from Balochistan, now in Pakistan. He was succeeded by Shah Satnam Singh and later by Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.
5. Dera Sacha Sauda, according to the sect ideology, means a place of real truth. It’s first head, Shah Mastana founded Dera Sacha Sauda in Sirsa on 29th Aptil, 1948. Shah Mastana also formed at least a dozen additional Ashrams in various states, where he taught methods of meditation.
6. According to sect literature, current head of Sacha Sauda Sect Saint Dr. Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insaan believes that every living being is a child of GOD, and to serve GOD, one must serve his children. Therefore, Dera primarily initiated 112 humanitarian welfare activities.
7. The present sect head is not only a saint but also a film-maker, singer, musician, director, producer & actor. His father Sardar Maghar Singh Sidhu was a rich Sikh landlord of Sri Ganga Nagar district, Rajasthan. However, Dr. Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insaan did not adhere to any particular religious faith. He is believed by his devotees to be the 3rd reincarnation of Shah Mastana, the founder of the sect.
8. Dr. Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh has many interests, from photography to engineering, sports, agriculture, fine arts, science and meditation. He was awarded with a degree of Doctorate by the University of World Records, London.