ROHTAK: The CBI Court which was shifted to Rohtak Central Jail, announced the quantum of sentence to Dera Chief Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim Insaan. The following are 10 important facts about this verdict on quantum of sentence:
1. Dera Chief Baba Ram Rahim was sentenced to 10+10 years=20 years in two cases under section 376 and 506. These sentences be given consequently & both will not be counted simultaneously, or concurrently. Thus, Baba Gurmeet Rahim Rahim will have to spend 20 years in jail and not 10 years, as reported by a section of press.
2. The court has also imposed a fine on him of Rs.15 lakh in each case. Thus he will have to pay Rs.30 lakhs.
3. Both victims have been awarded compensation of Rs.14 lakh each from the fine, so both the victims will get Rs.28 lakh from the amount of Rs.30 lakhs imposed as fine.
4. The section 376 of IPC pertains to rape charges and offence under section 506 pertains to the charges of criminal intimidation. Both were proved and quantum of sentences were announced today.
5. Rohtak Central Jail was turned into a Court for security reasons and instead of carrying the convict to court, Rohtak Central jail was turned into a court and entire Judicial Crew and Judge reached the jail. Judge was brought to the jail turned court in a helicopter from Chandigarh.
6. In Mumbai serial bomb blast cases of 1993, Arthur Road Jail turned into court for security reasons. The trial of Mumbai Bomb Blast cases was also conducted in Arthur Road jail.
7. S.K Narwana appeared in the court as the defense lawyer of Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim.
8. CBI Special Court Judge Jagdeep Singh delivered the judgement and quantum of sentence.
9. Two disciples, Sadhvis of Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim lodged the complaints of rape and criminal intimidation in 2002. Their trial took 15 years to come to the stage of conclusion, in which the accused was sentenced.
10. The Defence Council has already said that they will appeal against this verdict in the high court, so the case will move to the High Court in appeal soon.